Sunday 26 January 2014

Designs Today ... Found Locally

Once that you start going in depth and studying a particular subject, like I am doing through these blogs, I found that I started noticing such designs everywhere I look. So this time, I noted down the places in which I saw famous and classic designs and took photos where it was possible. It is amazing how unnoticed certain things go but once you start to look around you and actually appreciate your surroundings you see things that you never noticed before due to the rushed lives we live in today.

Such an example could be seen at Water Biscuit in St Julian’s Paceville. They do not have the actual chairs but more of an inspiration from Ray and Charles Eames’ Wire Mesh Chairs. I don’t imagine having the originals standing out in the street in such a place but the link is visible.

Eames Mesh Chair and Chairs at Water Biscuit

Another example could be seen at the Sliema Sea Front McDonald’s where they actually have the original replicas of Eames’ works. I think it is nice to incorporate such designs in such a highly visited place because, after all, it is part of everyone’s culture. If said designers, and others to follow, were not so innovative we would not be living in the world we know it today. So in this way we pay homage to their geniality.



As for the place where one can actually buy such classical and stylish designs, I found locally that Camilleri Paris Mode does. I could not go round the shop taking photos, even because such furniture would be secured in the stores and would not be taking it out just for a picture. So instead I raided their website and found even more iconic designs there. So there I found:


Ray and Charles Eames Lounge Chair


Verner Panton Tulip Chair and Table


Philippe Starck Ghost Chair










Camilleri Paris Mode. [online] Available at: http://www.camilleriparismode.com/ [Accessed on 15th January 2014]

No comments:

Post a Comment